1-Wire Weather Stations
Interest has grown about creating weather stations and setting up a data input into a Collexion database for testing, analysis, and to create a software system that can be used for learning and experimentation. We will put together weather stations using pre-built components to get started in the hobby, and then we will branch out into data integration, manually building components, adding data warehousing and analytics, and more!
We can build a 1-Wire Weather Station using the Weather Toys book as a source. The book is broken down into 3 parts.
- Introduction to weather, introduction to weather stations, and introduction to 1-wire devices.
- Build a Weather Station
- Wind Speed and Wind Direction
- Barometric Pressure
- Expanding the Weather Station
- Build a Weather Web Server
- Turn Appliances On or Off Based on Weather
- Add an LED display
- Build a Smart Sprinker Timer
- Build a Home Thermostat
- Build a Stand-Alone Weather Station (no PC required)
- Determine hardware requirements
- Determine costs for hardware
- Determine members interested in purchasing
- Hold planning meeting
- Hold design meeting